Most streets in our village are interesting in that a sidewalk is not as common, or is used partially as a road also. Well this year the street where we live is not apart of the central sewage lines, and so the landlord has our (we share) septic tank emptied every so often. Thankfully I have only been home once or twice when this has happened and have been indoors.
So what doe this have to so with the street?
This year the EU gave Hungary money to improve the sewage system, and so the roads not the outside of the village have been torn up to install the pipes. Well the funny part is that then the county didn't have enough money to finish the job, I.e. repair the streets.
The street we live on is narrow (just like one would think of Europe) and really only has room for 1.5 cars width wise. The person on the right has the right away.( I think). Basically if there is a car coming whichever has more room to pull over does, to let the other car pass.
Back to our road. So we don't have a sidewalk and so we share the road with the drivers, which usually means walking on the edge which is not paved, because the edges have been torn up. So basically our street is a patchwork of blocks of asphalt and then every so often where the pipes were installed, loose gavel serves as asphalt. When it begins to wear down I have to watch cars more carefully because it becomes a game of dodging potholes for the cars. One rainy day I was walking to school and a car didn't slow down on the gravel parts and the water in the holes splashed me. It wasn't as bad as the movies, but it did get on my pants.



No comments:
Post a Comment