11/13/2011

Life around Diosd

So this weekend a friend brought to my attention that I don't blog much about my life here in Diosd. So here is a little bit.

I live in a town/village called Diosd, the city limit is probably a 15 minute walk, technically speaking but it goes in and out. We take a bus called the volan buz into the main bus station, Kelenfold, and from there we get on a bus or a tram to get to where we want to go in the city. The bus ride to Kelenfold is about 20 minutes, and depending on when we get there and what mode of transportation we use the wait can be around 5 minutes. The kicker is on the way home. When in the city there is no way to predict how long it will take to get back to the bus station, but on the weekends the Volan Bus back to Diosd leave twice an hour, so we have to hit it just right, or we can wait for 20-30 minutes.. It's complicated, I will have to take pictures next time I go into the city. So getting downtown is a trip when we take the time to do it, which ends up to be on the weekend.
this is our ticket we have to buy every time we go in or return home, it costs about $1.50 each way

Back to Diosd.

How do I get to school?
I walk, it take 10 minutes.

What kind of grocery stores to you have?
In town, there is a CBA which is a smaller grocery store, but you can get the basics. This is where we go if we need 1 or 2 things. Then there is a supermarket (interspar) It has lots of things, just like a Hy-Vee or Price Chopper. There is 1 more really small market in town but I haven't shopped there. Spar is about a 10 minute walk from school, and about a 20 minute walk from home. The bad part is that the walk home is mostly flat but slightly uphill, and then as you can see below, the walk at the end is all up hill! I get a work out for sure!



Where do I live?

         

We live in a duplex, that different staff from the school have been renting for at least the past 3 years.

Yes, in Eastern Europe, all of the homes have a gate and fence around the property, which has been an adjustment.

Here are some other homes in Diosd:

   Now, these are some of the nicer homes in Diosd, just a disclaimer! I will take other photos and post them soon!  At least this gives you and idea of where I live. It is not in the city, so the community is much different. Many missionary families and other school families live in the community, so that is nice! More details to come later! Look for an update around Thanksgiving or next week with more photos of Diosd!

No comments:

Post a Comment